Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Geeks are we?


As we venture out into the real world, the virtual word, the imaginary world, or any other world one may choose to dwell in, we will undoubtedly find a geek connection within. I drive down the road and see a sticker on a stop sign so it reads: “Stop Voldemort, before it’s too late;” I walk downtown and see a girl wearing a shirt that reads “I <3 <3 Doctor Who;” I hop online and see an add for the new Lord of the Rings Lego video game. But, maybe I only notice all these treasures because I love them!
love them!
What makes us geeks? It could be the fact that I have my 10th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver on me at all times, or that Kara uses a TARDIS lunchbox as a purse, has a TARDIS coffee mug as well as cookie jar. Perhaps, it is that we bought identical “I love Star Wars” shirts at different times unknowingly, or that we both have gaming systems and play games on them regularly (by myself, with the kids, with the husband…) We could add stuff to this list like: we have had pets named Legolas, Aragorn, Jedi, Qui-Gon Jinn and a car named Gandalf and a house named Rivendell. Or, that we have both won NaNoWriMo may boost our geek status. 
Honestly, though, I think geek is more than a checklist. It is being who you are without reserve, and most certainly not trying to mold yourself into what others assume you should be. I am a mother, and for many years I was a stay-at-home mom, but I was never, by any means, June Cleaver. I would venture to say I am probably more like the whole entire cast of FRIENDS with perhaps a higher set of morals.   
The world isn’t watching you as closely as you think it is, so feel free to be who you are. Geek it up!

Allons-y!
Karena*

No comments:

Post a Comment