Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Geek Inside of Me


Being a nerd just means there is something in the world that you care deeply about--be it twelve-sided dice, a favorite sports team, your new laptop or Knight Rider.”

I have done myself a disservice. I have gotten caught up in the “theme” of this blog, and have thrown out a lot of content because it didn’t quite fit in the “lines”. In a moment of clarity, I realized that the whole point of this blog was to encompass all of the oddities that make us who we are, who I am, and have a place to freely share all of that. That should be the theme. A great big digital hodge podge of randomness. The binding glue is me. I bring together this odd collection of passions and ideas, which in turn speak a reflection of who I am as a person.

This is the difficult part for me, as its fun and easy to talk about how much I love Harry Potter or Doctor Who all the livelong day, talking about myself, truly why I care so much about these seemingly silly things, is much more difficult. It is also a challenge I would like to give myself, because at the very heart of it, it is all meaningless without the passion. Unless people understand the passion all they see is a grown up wasting time playing with toys, or reading children’s novels, wasting money on movies and t-shirts, and talking about made up worlds and galaxies as if they truly exist.

Each, for their own unique reasons, inspires me. They help me think beyond what I thought was possible and motivate me to strive for greatness. For a brief moment all the anxieties and fears are forgotten as evil is vanquished. For a short time I find peace in a complete surrender to the Creator, or see how uniquely and wonderfully I was made. Then its gone, and once more am I struggling to keep my head above the torrential waters of life. Hoping to grasp at those moments and draw them in, ever longer, and ever sweeter.

Yours Truly,
Kara

3 comments:

  1. YOu've hit it right on. We need stories in our lives to help us look Up. One of my favorite vimeos on this is http://www.internationalartsmovement.org/media/
    and look at Jeffery Overstreet on the Art of Storytelling. Really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am subscribed by email but I am not getting these by email for some reason. Saw it on facebook. :( so I've missed your last three.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sharon! I miss our blog discussions- I will have to look that up. As for the emails I just added a new gadget that will hopefully work better- it ties it to your google account instead. Let me know if it still doesn't work. I am hopefully going to be posting once a week.

    ReplyDelete